Friday 20 January 2012

Cinnamon and spice...

From the TMI files... Feeling rather domestic this weekend, I decided to pull out my best Martha Stewart effort and make one heckuva homemade breakfast. I started with poached eggs with hollandaise sauce, honey bacon, and cinnamon crapes.  Opening my new bag of fresh organic cinnamon I had one of my world-famous spontaneous hand spasm and flipped far too much cinnamon into my batter. Faced with the dilemma of making a fresh batch of batter, or using the cinnamon thickened batch I had in front of me... Whether it was my frugality or my hunger induced laziness, I decided to use what I have already made! Who knew....perhaps I was about to discover some new taste sensation with this extremely potent concoction.  Well the crepes were cooking in the pan, the house filled with the exquisite aroma of cinnamon arousing our voracious appetites. Once cooked, buttered, and slathered in real maple syrup, I discovered that they also tasted very deliciously cinnamon like!   In the days that followed however I observed that everything in our bodies smelled like the tasty spice! I sweated cinnamon, I peed cinnamon, and my breast milk smelled like cinnamon!!! Now we can all agree there are worse things in the world that breast milk, sweat, and urine can smell like.... Hell if they smell like breast milk, sweat and urine it's not "nice".... The real shock came however, upon changing a poopy diaper...  Low and behold, it smelled like…cinnamon! between my shocking bewilderment I had an epiphany.... "What I put my body, comes out of hers!" So for any mother who breast-feeds and doesn't believe that what they eat or consume goes into their breast milk, my little "Oopsey daisy pancake" experiment has proven it. I've always been cautious about what I eat while I'm breast-feeding a baby but now I'm cutting myself down to one cup of coffee a day, reluctantly I'm taking my vitamin pills, and I'll think long and hard before ever taking any flu or cold remedies.... As a sidenote, I will probably make the cinnamon crepes again, they are darn good, and their side effects are quite pleasant as well!  I'm not saying that my poop don't stink.... But....

1 comment: